Tor Bay proudly boasts some of the finest sailing waters in the world and is an Internationally renowned racing venue. The Royal Torbay Yacht Club has been at the heart of sailing in Tor Bay for over 150 years and has established an enviable reputation in hosting major sailing events from the Americas Cup trials in the 1930s, the sailing venue for the 1948 Olympic Games, and the UK stopovers for both the 1991 Round Europe Race and the 2015 single-handed offshore race La Solitaire Du Figaro.
In 2019, the club was pleased to welcome the J/70 International Class for their prestigious World Championships, a truly memorable and widely acclaimed event.
Numerous National, European and World Championships have all chosen Tor Bay, and in recent years these include the 29er, 420, Albacore, Dragon, Finn, Fireball, International Cadet, International Moth, Optimist, RS 200, RS400, RS Aero, RS Feva, Solo, Squib, Tasar, Melges 24 and 32, SB20, K6 and VX One classes.
Why choose Torquay?
- Pontoons and berthing for up to 100 yachts and keelboats.
- Good harbourside facilities with berthing ashore for 100+ dinghies.
- Modern slipway and cranage.
- Sheltered harbour with fast and easy access to the race areas.
- Unrestricted sailing waters.
- RYA qualified Race Officers, experienced Race Management and Mark Laying teams.
- First-class Event, Race and Results administration.
- A range of meeting rooms for Race Office, Hearings and Media.
- Stylish restaurant, function rooms and exceptional catering facilities.
- Comfortable and popular club bar.
- Terraced gardens with panoramic views over Tor Bay and the race area.
- Harbourside Car Parking.
- Wide choice of local accommodation and town centre within walking distance.